About the DoctorProfessor Sukhbir Uppal, MD, FRCP (UK), FACR (USA), is a highly experienced Senior Consultant in Rheumatology skilled in the evaluation and management of arthritis and all other rheumatic disorders.
As a Rheumatologist, Dr. Sukhbir Uppal is an expert in arthritis, rheumatism, joint and muscle pain, back pain, neck pain, osteoporosis, Vitamin D deficiency, and autoimmune diseases. He also has a special interest in unexplained rash, fever, anemia, weakness, weight loss, fatigue, and anorexia. Rheumatology includes over 100 conditions such as osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, systemic lupus erythematosus (lupus), gout, and psoriatic arthritis.
The Patient Comes First
With Prof. Sukhbir Uppal, the patient always comes first. He is compassionate and totally engaged when caring for his patients. His style is unique for both the amount of time that he willingly spends with his patients, and the sincerity with which he gives care and advice.
Prof. Sukhbir Uppal uses the latest medical advancements and techniques like ultrasound for patient care. He has an excellent knowledge of the newest medications in the field of Rheumatology. His being an academic professor for several years, as well as his active membership with professional organizations and involvement in clinical trials, ensures that he is at the forefront of advances in Rheumatology.
When you select Prof. Sukhbir Uppal as your Rheumatologist, you are choosing more than an arthritis specialist. You are choosing a friend, philosopher and guide who will be your partner in improving your health.
- MBBS, Armed Forces Medical College, Poona University,
- MD - Medicine, Armed Forces Medical College, Poona University - with certificate equivalent to MRCP from Royal College of Physicians (UK), Read More
- Postdoctoral Fellowship in Rheumatology, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi,
- FRCP, Royal College of Physicians,
- FACR, American College of Rheumatology,
Specialising InAnkylosing Spondylitis Arthritis Chronic Hand Pain Chronic Knee Pain Chronic Muscle Weakness
University Hospital Sharjah
Licenses / Permits
- Senior Consultant in Rheumatology, Ministry of Health in UAE (MOH)
Awards & Publications
- Dhaunsi GS, Uppal SS, Haider MZ. Insulin-like growth factor-1 gene polymorphism in rheumatoid arthritis patients. Scand J Rheumatol. 2012;41(6):421-5
- Uppal SS, Ragupathy R, Hayat SJ, Longenecker JC, Abraham M, Rawoot P. Disease activity and cytokine production in mitogen-stimulated peripheral blood mononuclear cells from patients with rheumatoid arthritis. Med Princ Pract 2010;19(1):33-9
- Uppal SS, Hayat SJ, Raghupathy R. Safety and efficacy of infliximab in SLE: A pilot study. Lupus 2009;18:690-697
- Uppal SS, Raghupathy R, Hayat SJ, Chowdhury RI, Abraham M, Rawoot P. Patient demographics and disease variables correlate with distinct cytokine patterns in mitogen-stimulated peripheral blood mononuclear cells from rheumatoid arthritis patients. Rheum
- Uppal SS, Haider MZ, Hayat SJ, Dhaunsi GS, Abraham M, Sukumaran J. Significant association of insertion/deletion polymorphism of the angiotensin-converting enzyme gene with rheumatoid arthritis. J Rheumatology: 2007 Dec;34(12):2395-9
- Uppal SS, Al-Mutairi M, Hayat S, Abraham M, Malaviya A. Ten years of clinical experience with adult onset Still's disease: is the outcome improving? Clin Rheumatol. 2007 Jul;26(7):1055-1060.
- Uppal SS, Hussain MAS, Al-Raqum HA, Nampoory MRN, Al-Saeid K, Al-Assousi A, Abraham M, Malaviya AN. Henoch-Schönlein’s purpura in adults versus children/adolescents: a comparative study. Clin Exp Rheumatol. 2006 Mar-Apr;24(2 Suppl 41):S26-30.
- Uppal SS, Abraham M, Chowdhury RI, Kumari R, Pathan EM, Al Rashed A. Clinical Spectrum of HLA-B27 Positive and Negative Spondyloarthropathies Seen in Arabs and South Asians: The Experience of a Teaching Hospital in Kuwait. Clin Rheumatol. 2006; 25(2):219-
- Al-Raqum HA, Uppal SS. First report of leprosy presenting as acute polyarthritis in the setting of type I downgrading lepra reaction. Clin Rheumatol. 2006;25(1):101-5.
- Uppal SS, Tewari SC, Verma S, Dhot PS. Comparison of CD4 and CD8 lymphocyte counts in HIV-negative pulmonary TB patients with those in normal blood donors and the effect of antitubercular treatment: hospital-based flow cytometric study. Cytometry B (C
- Uppal SS, Verma S. Analysis of the clinical profile, autoimmune phenomena and T cell subsets (CD4 and CD8) in Takayasu’s arteritis: A hospital based study. Clin Exp Rheumatol 2003; 21: (Suppl.32): S112-S116
- Uppal SS. Al Mutairy M, Malaviya AN. Clinical and immunological profile of Primary Sjogren’s syndrome in Kuwait: First report from middle east. APLAR J Rheumatol 2003; 6(1):16-20
- Uppal SS, Achuthan K, Kotte VK, Saini JS. A study to assess the prevalence and clinical spectrum of patients with antiphospholipid antibodies. J Ind Rheum Assoc 1998;6:29-34
- Gupta PK, Uppal SS, Achuthan K, Adya CM, Singh A, Saini JS. Sonography is valuable in evaluation of chronic non-traumatic disorders of the shoulder joint. MJAFI, 1998;54(1):27-31.
- Achuthan K, Uppal SS. Rheumatological manifestations in 102 cases of HIV infection. J Ind Rheum Ass, 1996
- Ira Pande, Uppal SS, Kailash S, Kumar A, Malaviya AN. Behcet’s disease in India: a clinical, immunological, immunogenetic and outcome study. Br J Rheumatol, 1995;34:825-30.
- Kumari R, Uppal SS. Prolonged remission in adult-onset Still's disease with etanercept. Clin Rheumatol. 2006; 25(1):106-8
- Uppal SS, Ira Pande, Singh G, Kailash S, Kakkar R, Kumar A, Mehra NK, Giri TK, Sekharan NG, Malaviya AN. Profile of HLA B27 related unclassifiable seronegative spondyloarthropathy in females and its comparison with the profile in males. Br J Rh
- Uppal SS, Ira Pande, Kailash S, Sekharan NG, Kumar A, Malaviya AN. Adult onset Still’s disease in Northern India: Comparison with juvenile onset Still’s disease. Br J Rheumatol, 1995; 34:429-34
- Sharada B, Kakkar R, Ira Pande, Uppal SS, Adya CM, Kumar A, Malaviya AN. Intravenous dexamethasone pulse therapy in diffuse systemic sclerosis: a randomised, placebo controlled study. Rhematol International, 1994;14(3):91-4.
- Ira Pande, Malaviya AN, Sekharan NG, Kailash S, Uppal SS, Kumar A. SLE in Indian men. Analysis of the clinical and laboratory features with review of the literature. Lupus, 1994; 3 : 181-86.
- Ira Pande, Sekharan NG, Kailash S, Uppal SS, Singh RR, Kumar A, Malaviya AN. Analysis of clinical and laboratory profile in Indian childhood systemic lupus erythematosus and its comparison with SLE in adults. Lupus, 1993 ; 21 : 83-87.
- Mehra NK, Ira Pande, Veena Taneja, Uppal SS, Saxena SP, Kumar A, Malaviya AN. Major histocompatibility complex genes and susceptibility to systemic lupus erythematosus in Northern India. Lupus, 1993; 2 : 313-314
- Uppal SS. Editorial: Treatment and outcome of lupus nephritis at the turn of the millenium. J Ass Phys India 1999;47:857-61
- Uppal SS. HLA-B27 & immunogenetics of the spondyloarthropathies: current concepts. J Ind Rheum Ass 1999;7:55-61
- Uppal SS, Achuthan K. Impact of HIV infection on rheumatic diseases. J Ass Phys India, 1997;45:387-91.
- Uppal SS, Achuthan K: Rheumatological manifestations of HIV infection. Bombay Hosp J, 1997;39:302-7
- Uppal SS. Low backache – a clinician’s approach. In Pispati PK, Borges N, Uppal SS (eds): IRA Manual of Rheumatology. Bombay, India, 2003
- Uppal SS. Seronegative spondyloarthropathy. In: Shah SN (Ed): API Textbook of Medicine, 7th ed, Mumbai, Association of Physicians of India, 2003; pp1164-1171
- Uppal SS. Living with arthritis. In: Zachariah N, Pandita R (eds): Key to good health. Indian Doctor’s Forum, Kuwait, pp 119-122; 2004
- Uppal SS. Nampoory MRN. Lupus nephritis – pathogenesis and management. In Mukherjee S (Ed): Recent Trends in Connective Tissue Disorders. Indian College of Physicians, Mumbai, 2004.
- Uppal SS. Rheumatology Reviews. Ind J Rheumatol 2010;5(1):51–54 onwards, every 3 months, to date
- Hayat SJ, Uppal SS. Therapeutic efficacy and safety profile of infliximab in active systemic lupus erythematosus. Mod Rheumatol, 2007:17:174-177
- Hayat SJ, Uppal SS, Narayanan Nampoory MR, Johny KV, Gupta R, Al-Oun M. Safety and efficacy of infliximab in a patient with active WHO class IV lupus nephritis. Clin Rheumatol. 2007 Jun;26(6):973-975.
- Nahar IK, Muqim AT, Al-Qhouti BI, Al-Herz AA, Shehab DK, Uppal SS, Khadadah ME. The use of etoricoxib in patients with bronchial asthma associated with aspirin sensitivity. Saudi Med J. 2006;27(1):119-20
- Al-Raqum HA, Uppal SS, Al-Mutairy M, Kumari R. Shrinking lung syndrome as a presenting manifestation of systemic lupus erythmatosus in a Kuwaiti female. Clin Rheumatol 2006; 25(3):412-4.
- Kumari R, Uppal SS. First report of supraventricular tachycardia after intravenous pulse methylprednisolone therapy, with a brief review of the literature. Rheumatol Int. 2005; 26(1):70-3
- Uppal SS. Management of vasculitis. APLAR J Rheumatol 2004;7:180-88
- Uppal SS, Salopal TK, Singh H. Left gluteal focal myositis in a patient with signet ring adenocarcinoma of the stomach: not a paraneoplastic phenomenon. Rheumatol Int. 2004; 24(6):365-7
- Uppal SS, Tewari SC, Verma S. Comparison of CD4 and CD8 lymphocyte counts in HIV-negative pulmonary TB patients with those in normal blood donors and the effect of antitubercular treatment: hospital-based flow cytometric study. Cytometry B (Clin C
- Uppal SS, Gupta S, Verma S. Correlation of clinical and laboratory surrogate markers of immunodepletion with T cell subsets (CD4 & CD8) determined flow cytometrically in HIV infected patients: a hospital based study. J Commun Dis. 2003;35(3):140-53.
- Uppal SS, Verma S, Dhot PS. Normal values of CD4 and CD8 lymphocyte subsets in healthy Indian adults and the effects of sex, age ethnicity and smoking. Cytometry Part B (Clin Cytom), 2003; 52B:32-36
- Uppal SS, Marouf RAR, Al Mutairy M, Al Herz A, Kortom MAF, Al Wazan H. First report of osteonecrosis of the calcaneum in a young Kuwaity female with hemoglobin E/β thalassemia. Clin Exp Rheumatol 2003; 21(4):522
- Uppal SS, Saini JS, Pruthi HS, Singh B, Singh AP, Mahapatro AK. Successful treatment of hepatitis B virus (HBV) associated polyarteritis nodosa (PAN) with interferon alpha alone (abstr). J Ass Phys India, 1998;46:58
- Uppal SS, Madan H, Singh R, Saini JS. AIDS awareness in patients attending the medical outpatient department of a Pune hospital. MJAFI, 1997; 53(4):277-81
- Rao MKK, Sayal SK, Uppal SS, Gupta RM, Ohri VC, Banerjee S: Beta -2- microglobulin levels in human-immunodeficiency virus infected subjects. MJAFI, 1997; 53(4):251-4
- Giri TK, Ira Pande, Mishra NM, Kailash S, Uppal SS, Kumar A: Spectrum of clinical and laboratory characteristics of HIV infection in Northern India. J Communic Dis, 1995;27(3):131-41
- Giri TK, Wali JP, Meena HS, Pande I, Uppal SS, Kailash S. Sociodemographic characteristics of HIV infection in northern India. J Commun Dis. 1995;27(1):1-9.
- Uppal SS, Badhwar S, Ganguly S, Agnihotri V, Boparai MS, Suri RK. Chloroquine resistant falciparum malaria in the Andamans. J Ass Phys India, 1995; 43(2):103-5.
- Uppal SS, Pande I, Kakkar R, Yechoor V, Kumar A, Malaviya AN. Infective endocarditis in a case of systemic lupus erythematosus. J Ass Phys India, Jul 1993;41(7):470.
- Uppal SS, Agnihotri V, Badhwar SK, Ganguly SK, Shetty KJ: Clinical aspects of centipede bite in the Andamans. J Ass Phys India 1990: 38(2), 163-64.
- Uppal SS, Dham SK, Shetty KJ, Ahuja IM: Factors precipitating failure in established cases of rheumatic heart disease. J Ass Phys India 1987: 36(7), 501-503
- Uppal SS, Varadarajulu NJ, Ahuja IM. Clinical association between automatic and somatic neuropathy in diabetes mellitus. Med J Armed Forces India 1987; 43(3), 207-11.
- Anand KP, Uppal SS, Ahuja IM: Electrocardiographic diagnosis. J Applied Med 1984: 10(1), 53-55.
- Royal College of Physicians (FRCP), Edinburgh - UK
- Fellow American College of Rheumatology (FACR), USA